Friday

"Call Me Lucifer" - Terry G

Gabriel Oche-Amanyi, popularly known as Terry G ranks among the most celebrated entertainers in the country. However, he is controversial, which makes people to see him in different light.
READ MORE: http://news.naij.com/44014.html
photo
Culled From: NAIJ.COM
The talented musician cum producer in this interview talks about his career, family and why he prefers to be called Lucifer. Excerpts:
You had your first child sometime ago. How does it feel to be a father?
It’s the happiest thing that has ever happened to me. There is always a feeling one has never felt before, especially when it is the first time. It’s full of new experiences, and the truth is that it has brought good luck to my life.

Has it changed anything about you?
Yes, definitely. It has changed my lifestyle; I’m now a homely man, always at home playing with my kid. It has made me to be calm.
Tell us about his mother, Mimi?
She is lovely, understanding and very intelligent. It is always difficult to find the right partner, but I’m lucky to have found her.
When you first came to the industry you referred to yourself as Mr. Bling Bling, later it was Ginger, Akpako Master, and now you said people should call you Lucifer (devil)?
A lot of people got it wrong. Nevertheless, I’m in support of controversy. I knew it was going to cause controversies. What I actually meant was ‘look, see far’; meaning I’m seeing ahead. I told my crew members that it was going to generate controversies and I’m enjoying it.
You need to make certain clarifications about your personality. Perhaps, due to your energetic stagecraft and lyrics, some people perceive you to be an addicted Indian hemp smoker?
Well, these things are attached to secular music. Everybody doesn’t do it but I think 99 percent of us are seen doing it. The fact about life is that everything has control. There is a reason for everything. If you ask me, it doesn’t have to do with the fact that people say I take Indian hemp. It has to do with the talent that I have. If I take Indian hemp and I’m not creative or naturally intellectual, it won’t work. Besides, if you look at it, I’m not the only one.
What’s the meaning of Akpako?
Akpako means scope. Interviewing me now means you’re nacking your akpako. Your akpako is journalism. As a lawyer, you nack your akpako when you’re in court. My own akpako (scope) is music. So, if I’m referring to a girl that ‘tile make I nack you akpako…’ that means I’m making sexual conversation with her.
You also did a song, Crazycally Fit with Tonto Dikeh. How did that happen?
You know that Tonto Dikeh is also controversial. When she dropped her first two singles, everybody was criticizing her, but I like the fact that she has a market that other female artistes in Nigeria don’t have. She has this crazy female swag that will make her relevant for a long time. I was the one that called her on phone after making the beat. She came and we killed it. I’m happy that the response on the song is good. Music is not all about talent, its about the producer’s ability to discover the potentials of the artiste and give the necessary support.
What was your experience with her in the studio?
It was cool. She listens to instructions and always ready to work, and that is very vital. The problem we have with some artistes in the studio is that they don’t listen.
I guess she is one of the most difficult artistes you have worked with?
Not really. The song we did was good.
She didn’t sing off-key like she did in her debut singles?
No. Every good sound comes from the producer because he has the right to monitor the production and voicing. So, if it is not good to go, he won’t let it out. So, you can’t blame the artiste, you blame the foundation of the song. Everybody can sing; they just need a good producer to coordinate them. It is a step-by-step stuff.
Some artistes have in the past accused you of stealing their beats or songs. Can you clear the air?
People often make this mistake; you don’t say someone stole your beat when it is not your intellectual property. A production belongs to the producer, and he has the right to give his beat to anybody. If I give you a free beat from my heart and you stab me in the back, I don’t have to be violent because there are ways to kill your market. That is why I deliberately do some stuff. I’m a human being.
Where do you place yourself in the industry?
I’m at the top of my game and I wish to be better everyday
READ MORE: http://news.naij.com/44014.html

No comments:

Post a Comment