Monday

Wimbledon - Karlovic: I didn’t know my name

Ivo Karlovic has stated that he didn’t ‘know his name’ or ‘what year it was’ as he recovers from viral meningitis.


Karlovic:”I didn’t know my name”
Ivo Karlovic has stated that he didn’t ‘know his name’ or ‘what year it was’ as he recovers from viral meningitis.
The 6’ 10” Croatian, who makes his long-awaited return to the tour in the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships on Friday, says that he now feels lucky to even be competing again after doctors stated that they weren’t sure whether he would ever fully recover.
The 34-year-old was preparing for an event on the Challenger Tour in April when the symptoms first occurred.
“I woke up and my arm was numb,” Karlovic recalled. “Then my wife [Alsi] asked me I don’t even remember what. I was slurring, so she called the paramedics.
“They gave me IV [therapy] and I felt good. But when they left, I began to vomit a lot and had headaches, so I went to hospital.
“They released me after one hour, but later that evening the numbness and pain returned. I became less and less conscious. I returned to hospital again. I don’t know what happened after that.”
“The doctor’s didn’t really know if I would recover 100 per cent. I was unconscious for a long time. I didn’t know my name or what year it was. I was in a lot of pain. My right arm and my face was numb.
“Headaches lasted almost 10 days. I recalled my name after four days and the numbness disappeared after five days.”
After making a recover from the illness, Karlovic has since struggled getting back to full match-fitness.
“The toughest part was fitness, and the fact that I didn’t know if it would happen again because there was still a virus in my head,” he added.
“I took to the practice court after one month. Five minutes one week and then every day. I really didn’t know that I would be back, so now it is good feeling because I feel no stress.
“It’s like a bonus. Every day now that I’m actually in a match, the atmosphere is like a bonus. I really like it now a lot more.
“I’m not fearful any more. The goal is just to be healthy and here. So it’s fun.”

No comments:

Post a Comment